As a vegetarian, it can be difficult to find meals that work for us both (Derek is not vegetarian). I don't cook meat, and, even if I did, I would have no clue if it was something that would need a warning before serving. Therefore, I stick to meals I can taste test. This first recipe was a bit of an experiment, but it turned out to be delicious! These patties are yummy as typical "burgers" or on salads. Be creative! In the future, I want to try these on a creamy polenta, but I need to up my skills before attempting that.
Recipe | Black Bean + Sweet Potato Patties
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed and peeled
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (I usually add more, but I'm a garlic fiend.)
- 3/4 cup corn
- 1 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked) or oats
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (Substitute 2 diced jalapenos if you are feeling spicy!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Boil the sweet potatoes until soft.
- Mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix together.
- Form the patties.
- Bake the patties for 20-30 minutes. (Flip once)
- Serve as you prefer and enjoy!
My favorite additions:
- Sliced Avocado
- Red Onions
- Hot sauce